Wednesday, November 14, 2007

In the Beginning...there was a lot of confusion??

Well, one might ask, what happens when you don't seriously write for over a year and then want to get back into it?

Answer: your office becomes a NIGHTMARE of confusion, of binders and piles of paper, of lost short stories and novellas and novel-length manuscripts. It's like a treasure hunt! Once, a long time ago, during a warehouse job far, far away, Perry had been quite into his writing. He had organized his stuff in binders and folders, with notes and blurbs, including all his research on submitting and suchwith, and on his computer he had everything neatly organized in folders.
Now, it's like finding a lost civilization - "Wow. Did Perry really write this? Cool. And look! Spreadsheets of where he sent stuff. Whoa, take a look at that binder of rejection letters!"

That's the funny part. The not so funny part is trying to find out where you left off.

Easily enough, thanks to my studious organization waaaay back in the past, I was able to find my manuscript of the Ghostcatcher Club. And, on the computer, there are the folders.

Now then. The manuscript papers are filled with scratchings and blurbs which (ostensibly) are notes for the next draft. Of course, I'm not sure if they had already been implemented or not. The last two days have been filled with some research and more organizing, and what I have now in my hot little hands is a clean copy of the latest draft! Yay!! Now to read! And then, on to edit!

I've also spent some time reading. I polished off Anita Daher's "Flight from Big Tangle" yesterday, and I'm about half-way through "Flight from Bear Canyon." Perfect books to read because the Ghostcatcher Club is geared for this age range....at least that's the plan.

So, so far so good, and very exciting to be digging into all these lost short and long stories of mine! Now, to read the latest draft for the next hour before I head off to work, and then tomorrow, finish reading it and start making notes and changes. I already have BIG plans to change this story - the ending will basically be completely rewritten.

Okay, back at it!

2 Comments:

At 6:28 AM, Blogger Anita Daher said...

Aww...that's so cool that you are reading those. But you know...Jaz in Racing for Diamonds has a spirit that I know you will find engaging, so you MUST read that next :-) She's the type of character might even have a run in with one of your characters one day. Not that she will...I'm just saying :-)

 
At 9:39 PM, Blogger BionicPerry said...

Hey! The books are cool in addition to being right in the age range of the book I'm working on. Yes - Racing for Diamonds is next on the list, but now that I've got Two Foot Punch...OOOOOHH! Decisions, decisions!! Heh!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home