Friday, May 02, 2008

One crazy fun book launch!

I managed to make it out to Chandra Mayor's book launch last night (All the Pretty Girls), and let me tell you it was fun! High energy and full of life and love and of course tinged with sadness (for some of the subject matter was quite serious).

Chandra held her launch at the Lo Pub, a swanky little underground dive bar which was really quite cozy. Although I'm not sure if that's because of the clientelle who was there last night (who were all there for Chandra). What would I find if I went there tonight? Of course we'll never know, because I'm not sure why I'd go there again, truth be told ;-)

In any case, Chandra also shared the stage with another person, who's beautiful sounding name I won't attempt to spell here (I can't seem to find the hundred invitations to the event I had!). Suffice to say that her book of poetry was quite beautiful, although quite serious in many parts (having to do with missing/abused women in the Vancouver area). There was a rep from Sagehouse at the readings as well, who gave a small presentation about what she and her organization does to help young women (sometimes girls, really) in awful, awful situations.

It was a great evening to bring awareness to a problem in all of our cities, to give thanks to two great readings, to hear host Rosanna Deerchild in her true, crazy (and as Chandra said, slightly inappropriate) form! And, most of all, to enjoy the company of friends and colleagues in a very un-bookstore like launch. Fantastic all around!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home