Sunday, March 18, 2007

Just saying "NO!"

Well. I did it.
And I feel guilty as hell.

I finally said "no" to something. Really. Honest.

For the last five years I've done the advertising for the PrairieCon program (www.prairiecon.com), a Gaming convention of geeks, nerds and whatnots, out in Brandon, who get together for three days (always the first weekend in June) to Game, Game, Game! Boardgames! Cardgames! Miniature Games! RPGs!

It's Nerd Nirvana, let me tell you.

I've made some great friends out in the Brandon area because of that convention, so it's kinda special to me in that way (besides the games). And it's cool being on the events committee to help organize the whole shebang. And hell, I've won the short story contest twice! (Note: independent judges, not friends, read the stories, btw).

But this year, there is just no way, no how, no sir.

With my new job as GM of the WIWF, and two benefits coming up in early May, there's no way I'll have time in April to shop around for ads. No way.
Benefit #1:
Prairie Fire Magazine Spring dinner with David Bergen and Lori Cayer at Fort Gibraltar
Benefit #2:
WIWF Micahel Ondaatje reading at MTYP with big raffle prize

So. There you have it. I'm a heel. Heh-heh.

Funny thing is, that's the core of my little story I'm writing for Wednesday's reading at Aqua Books - all about taking on too much for your little brain to handle. But if you want to hear more of it, you'll have to come to the reading!
Or, wait until Thursday when I post it on my Blog here. But it won't be the same without the voice inflections, hand gestures, and Ariel taunting me from the back row.

2 Comments:

At 10:01 AM, Blogger Polly said...

Let the heckling begin.

Time? Address? For your reading on Wednesday?

Oh, I'll do it for you:
Wednesday, March 21/07 7:30pm
Aqua Books (89 Princess)

Free Your Mind: Young Adult Writers
- Martha Brooks, Anita Daher, Perry Grosshans

A collaboration with The Writers' Collective, each installment in our author series features a different literary genre. The Free Your Mind series is created and coordinated by Winnipeg writer and editor Ariel Gordon. Admission is free.

http://www.aquabooks.ca/events.php#authorseries

 
At 1:00 PM, Blogger Herbert Grosshans said...

I hope your reading goes well. Sometimes it does seem we’re taking on more than we can manage, but it’s strange how we can actually handle more than we think is possible. People who don’t do much usually never have time to do anything, versus busy people who somehow always find time to take on one more task. Something to ponder.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home