Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Yay!! I'm a Writer! A Real Writer! They say so!

By "they" I of course mean the Winnipeg Arts Council!

Got my letter in the mail today, and it was good! I was awarded the $2000 Individual Artist Grant to work on the third draft of my kids book The Ghostcatcher Club! Yay me!

Now, I just have to get through these next few weeks of grant report/application hell, enjoy myself at PrairieCon, and then off to Toronto for BookExpo!!

And THEN, come mid June, I can start in on this third draft, and slowly work on it for the next 6 to 8 months. Yay!!! AND I can start soliciting Anita (the talented!) to see if she'll have time to read through the manuscript in a few months time (not right away- I need to work on it a bit first).

Whew! Exciting!

Looking forward to PrairieCon, Brandon's annual weekend long Gaming convention! (June 1, 2,3 this year) I go every year, and I even help run and organize it (although this year I didn't do any organizing, just complaining that I was too busy in my new job to help organize or sell any advertising for the booklet). I'm running three games this year, and for the first time I will take part in the Dungeons&Dragons tournament. Cool.

I'm such a Geek! Yay!!

And Toronto in just a few weeks! Off to BookExpo and then a couple of extra days after the convention to relax and visit friends, the ROM, the CN Tower, and to enjoy Evil Dead: The Musical!! (got our tickets a few weeks back. Should be fun!).

Last night I played my first Softball game of the season. Not too bad. Caught a pop fly and got a couple outs. Hit a couple of nice balls. Also missed a bunch of easy catches. Heh! That's the great thing about my team - no one cares! You're all there to have fun! I'm a little sore today, but it's a good sore. I guess...

I'm taking tonight off from work (yuck) to relax my brain and read Martha Brooks' new book Mistik Lake. I'm reading it for PrairieBooks NOW and get to interview her for an article. Cool.

And tomorrow: season finale of LOST! Cool.
Not that I watch a lot of TV, but Heroes was cool yesterday. As was Smallville on Sunday (Bizarro! Kick ass!).

Man. I AM a Geek.
Yay me!!

5 Comments:

At 6:44 AM, Blogger Anita Daher said...

Congratulations, Perry! My own project was turned down (sniff, and ouch).

 
At 12:39 PM, Blogger BionicPerry said...

Thanks Anita!
Sorry to hear about your own project - yeah, it does sting a bit when that letter comes in the mail (I know all about that).
But you're having such a fantastic year! Don't let that little thing stop you now!

 
At 1:03 PM, Blogger Anita Daher said...

No worries :-) For so many years I was never allowed to apply for regional or local grants (moved too much). Now, when I DO get a grant it feels like a gift. No grant--I carry on. Children's lit writers aren't quitters ;-)

 
At 5:09 PM, Blogger Anita Daher said...

Perry, are you a member of the Canadian Children's Book Council? if not--join! There's a CCBC Children's Book Gala on the Saturday evening of Book Expo weekend, and it's THE BEST event of the year :-) I think you either have to be a member, or in some other way associated with one of the sponsors to get an invite.

 
At 10:12 PM, Blogger BionicPerry said...

Really!?!
I've been a member of the CCBC since 1997. I haven't cracked open my latest ish of Children's Book News (in fact...I can't find it in my office suddenly...).
I'll have to check out the website and such and get more info on it. Or phone them! I'll bring my card. Cool! Thanks for the info.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home